AfDB Withholds $2.6 Million for Zambia Water Project

20 Jan 2008 by OOSKAnews Correspondent
lusaKa, Zambia
Premium

— The African Development Bank (AfDB) is withholding $2.6 million USD for one of the biggest water projects in Zambia, due to the government's failure to settle outstanding bills owed to the China Geo-Engineering Corporation. The Kabwe Water and Sanitation Project, which is 90 percent funded by the AfDB, would supply water to more than seven townships in central province, about 130 kilometers north of the capital. The Zambian government is supposed to provide the remaining 10 percent. The government made a partial payment of $250,000 USD in an effort to stop the contractor — which stopped work in December 2007 — from abandoning the project completely...

Request Subscription

SUBSCRIBE FREE to "The Water Diplomat" (monthly), or try the OOSKAnews International Water Weekly (paid subscription)